FCA SPOT Talks - 'Ideas worth sharing'
This is our form for you to pitch your 'ideas worth sharing'. Almost anything goes if you can fit it into our broad theme of 'TRUTH OR DARE'
ARE YOU FREE ON WED 16th MAY 2018?
We have our SPOT talks on Day 2 of the Financial Counselling Australia conference. The conference is in Hobart on 15-16 May 2018.
WHAT'S YOUR IDEA WORTH SHARING?
We welcome diverse ideas from anyone coming to the FCA conference. Last year was an awesome morning. The speakers were very proud of what they achieved (and so were we).
HOW WILL WE SELECT THE SPEAKERS TO GO INTO THE SPOT TALKS MENTORING PROGRAM?
Not all speakers can be accepted. We will be guided by our SPOT Talks mentor in putting together a diverse program. But you'll never know if you don't apply. We've chosen a broad theme of TRUTH OR DARE, so try to work that into your talk in some way - diversity is the key.
THEME: TRUTH OR DARE
What's truth or dare? It’s brave, it’s bold, it’s about overcoming obstacles, and maybe having the courage to do what people thought couldn’t work. Truth? What really happens, what needs to happen, what can you see that others can’t see? Can you challenge our views, or upturn the notion of ‘that’s how we’ve always done it’? Have you found a deeper truth? I dare you to … might be about taking risks, pushing boundaries, being spontaneous, bringing others along by hook or by crook. Are you on the edge of something brave or innovative or different?
All of our themes are broad enough to bend to encompass lots of ideas worth sharing.
WHAT DO WE LOOK FOR IN A TALK?
We'd like to give you an idea of what our SPOT Talks coach is looking for to put you on the program:
* An idea that has never been shared publicly before
* We are interested in stories that show your curiosity and enthusiasm for your subject
* Laughter is always good
* Failure is as important as success and is warmly welcomed in any talk
* A story with a beginning, middle and end. It takes the listener on a journey and provides an insight into the subject that they did not have before
* Illustrates our theme 'TRUTH OR DARE'
In thinking about pitching yourself and your story to us please consider the following:
* Our talks are up to 5-7 minutes
* You're expected to learn your speech, no stage notes or podium are used in a talk (but our mentor will guide you gently through this process and after all the revising you'll end up knowing it anyway)
* You take the stage and stand on the green circle for the love of sharing an idea.
* Have you seen a few TED talks? Don't consider an application until you've watched a few...it will help you and one of the questions asks you about your favourite TED talk.
HINTS ON HOW TO PITCH YOUR IDEA
How do you find that strong idea for your SPOT talk?
Make some reflective time to think. Go for a walk, sit on your veranda, stand in the shower, make some space to think and ponder.
What’s happening in your corner of the world that you know really well? (in your work-life, your home, your community, in your head … )
What have you done or tried or seen? (Something that has been done is stronger than just wishing something would happen)
Try telling someone about it … to get your ‘idea worth sharing’ into one strong sentence. That way instead of a bunch of thoughts, you’ve got a central strong theme.
ONCE YOU HAVE YOUR CENTRAL "IDEA"
Think of about 6 dot points that flesh out your talk, so that we can get a sense of the substance of your talk. If you end up with say 12 dot points, then reduce them to fewer, stronger themes. Show us that you're clear on where your talk is going.
WE CAN'T ACCEPT
* Talks that lecture people or moralise (as lectures aren't really that interesting), but turn it around to think "what is the central idea that I'm really so passionate about sharing?"
* Speakers not fully committed to the process. A wonderful TED style talk takes work (even if you do a fair bit of public speaking as this is a unique process).
You'll be committing to 5 months of mentoring. We only choose 7 speakers, so if you get selected, and later pull out that means that you were given a space, that now can’t be used by someone else … and FCA has used its limited funding on mentoring for a talk that won’t eventuate.
WHAT WE LOVE?
Speakers who embrace the process fully, make time to do their 'homework' between mentoring session and take ownership of their outstanding talk.
We really look forward to your application.
Tell us about your topic. Why would it appeal to the FCA conference community.
What makes your topic unique and interesting so that it stands out from other topics?
Tell us a bit about yourself.
Where you work? Role? Qualifications? Recent work? Interesting experiences?
Max 100 words *
Please provide short bullet points that would highlight what would be discussed in the talk
What is your favorite TEDTalk and why?
Max 100 words *
What is your closest capital city? And how far away are you (we may do high quality video conferencing using a sponsor's facilities)
Tick all boxes
I can be at the Financial Counselling Australia conference on 16 May 2018
I agree to fully participate in the mentoring process (doing the preparation for each telephone meeting)
I know that the talks may be filmed, professionally edited and shared by Financial Counselling Australia
I'm excited (and maybe a little nervous) ... but I'm going to give it my best shot
Do Not Fill This Out